THIS IS HAYBEE'S BLOG

Monday 13 March 2017

Federer, Nadal stay on course for desert showdown


Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal are on course for another showdown, after winning their opening matches at the BNP Paribas Open in the California desert on Sunday.
Less than two months after Federer claimed an 18th major title in a classic Australian Open final, the two great rivals could meet again, this time in the fourth round at Indian Wells.
Both won in style on Sunday, with Spanish fifth seed Nadal pouncing on Guido Pella’s serve to break the Argentine five times en route to a 6-3 6-2 victory, in sizzling afternoon heat on the stadium hard court.
Federer enjoyed the relative cool of an evening match.
But was back in the locker room before working up a major sweat, easing to a 6-2 6-1 win over Frenchman Stephane Robert, in front of an appreciative capacity crowd of around 16,000 spectators.
“The beginning was difficult, just because I’ve never played him before so I’m not sure about his patterns,” ninth seed Federer said in a courtside interview.
“I was very happy I was able to loosen up and play good tennis. I started to serve really well, move around the court great.”
While it was Federer’s first match against Robert, he is far more familiar with Nadal. They have met 35 times, with Nadal holding a 23-12 edge.
Needing to win their respective third-round matches for a 36th meeting to happen, Nadal next faces 26th-seeded compatriot Fernando Verdasco, while Federer plays American 24th seed Steve Johnson.
“For sure I saw the draw,” a relaxed Nadal said, adding that he was not really focused on Federer.
“I go day-by-day. That’s my way, to focus on my next match. I played I think a solid match (today).”



Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Technology

Powered by Blogger.

Ads Top

Facebook

Blog Archive

Find Us On Facebook

Subscribe Here

Share Us

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)

Random Posts

Flickr

Social Share

Random Posts

Recent Posts

Recent in Sports

Recent comments

Formulir Kontak

Name

Email *

Message *

Events

Ads

Popular Posts

Most Popular

Blog Archive

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Pages

Theme Support